Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Peep Springy Chocolate Cake



Hi Everyone!
                      As usual, when there is time to kill on Pinterest , I always stumble upon the cutest or yummiest looking pins that I HAVE to test out. The lucky winner this time was a Peep cake originally posted here by kayleesgrammy. Sadly, it had no instructions only the actual picture of her beautiful peep & M&M's creation.
I decided that I was going to give it a try because not only did it look precious but it would be a great centerpiece for our Easter Dinner. Since I have no great baking skills i resorted to old trusted cake mix! ( for any bakers out there, do not stone me! ) this my first time ever layer cake adventure so I didn't want to make it too hard on myself . I also figured that the M&M's would be a bit too much for us so I substituted with a few jelly beans and some purple sugar. The Recipe Follows!


Peep Springy Chocolate Cake


1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix + 3 eggs, oil, and water as instructed on box ( I used Pillsbury Dark Chocolate Cake)
1 tub of  Frosting  ( I used Pillsbury Vanilla Frosting)
Assorted Colored Peeps
Colored Sugar
Handful of Jellybeans


Prepare cake mix following the instructions on the back of the box. Use two 9 inch round pans and cool completely for best frosting results. I took an extra step and decided to use my new mixer*** to whip up the frosting in order to spread it easier and use a bit less. ( they do sell whipped frosting that is easier to spread, but technically you are paying more for less frosting a big no no in my book ;))
Place your first layer on the cake stand or platter you will be using and frost the top lightly. You can sprinkle some of the jellybeans for a sweet surprise when cutting. Place the second layer on top and proceed to use up the rest of the frosting until it is evenly frosted. Place peeps around the sides, sprinkle some colored sugar and a few jellybeans on top. Voila! Let the ooh and ahhh's begin! 


This is what mine looked like :


My photographic skills do it no justice, but the best proof that I Nailed it was that it was gone by the next day! Til next time!


***  My new mixer was a Christmas gift. You can tell you are an official grown up when you get an appliance for Christmas and you are EXCITED about it! Remember in the great words of Casey Stengel :  The trick is growing up without growing old!


Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment