Monday, April 23, 2012

The 2 Buck Lid Fix

        I am sure that by now I have made it pretty obvious that I am a total Pinterest addict. I love finding organizing tips and trying to make them my own. Making them my own means trying to figure out how to make it work for me without involving large sums of money or contractors ;).Of course, a girl can always dream about a kitchen like THIS one while pinning to her hearts content. But back to reality for now.I obviously do not have a designer kitchen, my home is not a showroom but I am proud of its warmth and coziness. I love cooking and the kitchen is my favorite room. I never knew that I had it in me, especially when you consider my mother doesn't really know how to boil water. But that is a whole other story...
Back to the kitchen, I love cooking and baking. The one thing I hate is trying to keep it organized. Do you remember this commercial for Rubbermaid Easy Lids Containers? the lady opens her cabinet and the containers and lids come tumbling down? Sound familiar? I so COULD  relate to that. I swear plastic containers must reproduce in the dark or something.
Every so many weeks, when the mess would get on my nerves ( or I couldn't close the door) , I would attempt to stack them together and organize. It seemed that as soon as I did that, the one lid I needed was at the bottom of the pile and therefore reaching it was a major accomplishment that most likely resulted in everything being a mess again.
One of my New Year Resolutions was to declutter and try to organize my home. I browsed Pinterest for ideas, finding all sorts of nifty racks and specialized cabinets. They looked great but  after a quick search  I realized it was not in my budget. One of my searches brought me to this post by Better Homes & Garden :


Photo source: www.bhg.com 




I don't have a drawer for my containers. I use part of my cabinet so therefore I needed to find a way to make it work for me. I was not sure how much I was willing to spend, but I was sure that I didn't want to invest much in case it was not functional and I ended up hating it. While walking around the Dollar Tree one day, I noticed their plastic dish racks. These are not the best quality but for a buck you cannot expect much. I decided that the slots were fairly similar to the idea pictured in the racks above. I decided that a 2 buck investment was safe enough and got them right away. I separated my plastic lids from the pots and pans. I tried to arrange them by size so that the smaller ones would be closer to reach. Once I did that , as a last minute idea, I decided to throw all the plastic containers in a crate and put the crate in the cabinet as well. I pull it out whenever I need one and Imagine is a pull out drawer like so many I have seen on Pinterest ha! Gotta love an active imagination!. Anyway, This is what it looks like :


Hazardous Stack. My toes are witness of the dangers of falling lids.




Two Dish Racks, one for plastics, one for pot lids. The Largest all the way to the back since  I don't use them often. I Even had room for my cutting board!




Right Next to the lids, an old crate full of plastic containers. It is super easy to pull out and get what I need, then stick it back in..








Like I said at the beginning, my house is not a showroom. We are fans of simple, inexpensive and practical. The 2 buck fix fits all that to the T. My toes will be happy not to be injured again and I will no longer be afraid of opening that cabinet door. I will say , as far as lid organizing...NAILED IT!





Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment